Montag, 18. September 2017

6. Clutch actuation

The clutch pedal is still not as I want to have it. You do not feel the point, when the clutch is releasing. And the movement of the pedal is far to wide.
I estimate, that the size of the clutch cylinder at the pedal and the size of the actuator at the clutch is not fitting. But I do not have a chance to change them. Don´t find the parts I need...
What I can change is the way, the pedal moves the push rod in the clutch cylinder.

I increased the travel of the push rod by 40% with moving the push rod pivot more away from the pivot of the pedal.
Some extension brackets were welded to the clevis, which is srewed on the push rod. 3 holes in the bracket and 3 holes in the pedal allows me to adjust the travel for the optimal clutch relaese feeling.



Built in the pedal box.

What I learned was, that it is very important to have the correct angle between push rod and cylinder. If the angle is to big, it needs a lot of power to operate the clutch. Not good.
I thought already about this, thats why I used brackets to keep the push rod aligned to the cylinder and move only the clevis pin away from the pedal pivot. 
It was only half perfect. In the best setup the clutch still was hard to press. No space for new holes and not interested in making new brackets I had an idea:

Two washers at the lower screw give the cylinder a little angle- this solved all my problems. 

Now the clutch has a good feelable release point and is easy to operate.
It wa a huge effort to figure out how to modify all this...